Sunday, August 26, 2007

New School Year

This week the kids went back to school. Skyler is now if fourth grade. (How did that happen?) The elementary school that we chose to put him in is really small, so there is only one of each grade. That means that he knows exactly who will be in his class every year. His same best friends are there, and the same “bossy girls” are there.

He has a man teacher this year, and he likes that. But Skyler just does not like school. We have watched him closely to make sure that no one is picking on him or anything. It is not that. He just thinks that school is painfully boring and would rather be anywhere else.



Shaylin, on the other hand, has been counting down the days until school starts. She has had her first-day-of-school-clothes laid out for a week, and all of her school supplies have been neatly labeled, organized and decorated. She is going to Skyler’s school this year, and she loves it. She adores her new teacher, and she has already made some cute friends.



When I picked Sky and Shay up at the end of the first day, Shaylin came running to the car and said, “Oh, I love my new school. It is so fun. I made two new friends. I sit by a boy with earrings, but don’t worry he is very nice. And his earrings are really pretty. My lunchbox kept my food so cold. I helped a boy who was crying because he couldn’t read his book. I am going to take good care of him. I love my playground. I love my desk…”

At this point, Skyler climbed in the car and said, “Well, one day down, 170 more to go.” Oh, dear, it might be a long year.