When we came home from Utah last weekend, we brought Skyler’s friend (Colten) and Shaylin’s friend (Scottlynn) home with us. So Sky and Shay have had a ball playing with their friends every day and having sleepovers every night this week.
At one point during the week I decided that I couldn’t put off going grocery shopping (with 6 kids) any longer. We had been out of town for a week, and we had no food. So I split my shopping list into three parts and gave 1/3 to Sky and Colten, 1/3 to Shay and Scottlynn and the last 1/3 Sawyer and I did.
The girls were thrilled to go and pick out food by themselves. The boys were not. So I explained to them that this was like a Nintendo game and if they didn’t get all the food on their list into my basket in 20 minutes, the world would be destroyed.
Well, that made perfect sense to them. Then they were a little TOO motivated. I wish you could have seen them flying around that store gathering food. They were running at full speed, pushing down old ladies and small children, yelling back and forth across the aisles and throwing food into the cart. It was so funny. I just pretended like I didn’t know them.
Shaylin and Scottlynn, on the other hand, were so careful and responsible. They made sure to compare prices and labels on everything, “This one says it’s the best around, but this one says it’s the best in town.” (Remember that Spongebob episode?) They picked out the cutest toilet paper, the shiniest apples and the healthiest cereal.
The funny thing is the boys and the girls both finished at about the same time. That was the most entertained I have ever been at the grocery store.