Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tree Balls

When I picked Sawyer up from preschool last week, we passed one of those trees that grows these on them.



I thought I'd be a fun mom and pick one for him. I showed him how to open it and find these little "balls" inside.



I did have enough forethought to tell him not to eat the balls. But when we got home he said, very sheepishly, "Um Mom. I stuck one of those balls up my nose and it's stuck." No big deal. I helped him blow it out, and we talked about how dangerous it can be to stick things up your nose. (How is that not obvious?)

Well, an hour later, I put Macey down for her nap and notice a little green ball shoved way up her nose!!! She can't blow, and tweezers and nose suckers only pushed the ball up farther. So, I started to freak out a little.

I ran and googled "object stuck up child's nose" and got 1,490,000 hits. (I guess it's not that obvious.) One site said, "Cover the unobstructed nostril, and blow into child's mouth as if you are giving them mouth-to-mouth." What?!?

Well, it totally worked. That little green ball went flying across the room.

Macey said, "Yay Mommy! You found my tree ball!!!" Had it really been lost? Had she been looking for it? I don't know.

Sometimes I wonder why is there not a required class before becoming a mother. I need it.

P.S. Sawyer SWEARS that he did not shove the ball up Macey's nose. He just showed her how to do it herself. That's what big brothers are for.