Monday, August 18, 2008

Book Club

We have started a Kid’s Book Club here. The kids all take turns choosing the book (from a list of children’s classics), having the meeting at their house, leading the discussion and making the dessert (very important).

Last month, Skyler chose the book, Summer of the Monkeys. We had a really fun time comparing notes as we read, and Skyler did a fabulous job leading the book club discussion. He asked questions like, “What was the climax of the book? Which character did you most relate to? Did you think the book ever got boring?” It was darling.

This month we’re reading The Island of the Blue Dolphins. Have you ever read that? It is SAD! But it’s exciting. The kids love it. I am reading it out loud to Shaylin, and this month Skyler is listening too, instead of reading it himself. The two of them lay down with their eyes closed as I read. Periodically, they laugh, or wipe a tear, or gasp, or plead, “Just one more chapter, pleeeease!?!” I think it’s one of the most fun things that I have ever done.



Sawyer joins us once in a while. But every single time I turn the page he jumps up and runs over to see if there’s an illustration. He thinks that we’re crazy to read books without pictures. Shaylin told him, “Sawyer, if you close your eyes, you can see the pictures in your imagination.” Sawyer told her, “It’s too dark.”