Sunday, January 27, 2008

Questions

Sawyer is getting more and more aware of the color of people’s skin. It doesn’t seem to be an issue or concern, he is just more aware. He will use those adjectives to describe to people now (“She is nice and she is brown.”)

One night this week, Sawyer and I were reading books before bed and we started to talk about Jesus. Sawyer asked, “Momma, is Jesus Black like me?” I didn’t see that one coming. I didn’t know what to say. I just said, “Jesus was Jewish, so he was kind of brown, but on the inside He looks just like you.”

I remember that when we lived in Indianapolis there was an art gallery in the mall by our house. It always had paintings of Christ at different points in His life – the last supper, the crucifixion, the ascension, etc. – but in the paintings Christ was always Black.



I used to think that they were creepy. Now I want one. I guess what I really want is for my son to be able to relate to his Savior.

Sawyer opens my mind and teaches me something beautiful every single day.