Monday, October 22, 2007

Contrast


Every morning I lay out the kid’s clothes for school. When I go into Shaylin’s room, she always has several requests. “I need jeans for what I am playing at recess. I am in a yellow-shirt mood. I feel like long sleeves. I want my hair to be more funky than cute today…”

Skyler never says a thing. I started to worry that I was stifling his freedom or creativity or something. So this week we had this conversation:

Me: Skyler, would you like to pick out your clothes today?
Skyler: Why?
Me: Oh, I don’t know. I just wondered if you are in the mood to wear something in particular.
Skyler: I don’t understand.
Me: Well, if you could open your closet right now and pick out anything to wear to school today, what would it be?
Skyler: Um, my pajamas with feet and no underwear.
Me: Okay, I guess I'll lay out your clothes for you.
Skyler: Sounds good.