Last week was our first full week of summer. We started up our little Summer School again. I keep waiting for my kids to tell me that they are getting too old for that, but they still love it. They each picked three subjects that they want to learn about this summer. Skyler picked electronics, cartoons and optical illusions. Shaylin picked geology, cooking and art. Sawyer picked racing cars, cars that race and really fast cars. That’s it.
My kids still insist that we call roll and have show-and-tell every single day. It is so funny. Then they write in their journals, read for 20 minutes, do a science experiment or craft, have P.E. and learn about the subject of the week. It only takes about an hour, but you add that to job time and it fills up our mornings. Yay.
This week we are learning about electronics. (I had to do some major research on that one.) We also made homemade silly putty, homemade ice cream in zip lock bags and homemade disappearing ink. We’ve had fun.
We decided to go on one or two “field trips” a week. We have a big list to check off this summer. We’ll see how we do.
I look forward to summer all year. I really enjoy having my kids all to myself. Living out in the country helps too. I don’t have to hang up the “we can’t play until noon” sign on our door anymore. The only ones who would read it are the deer. My kids still play with friends several times a week, but because we all live so far apart, it has to be planned and scheduled. The rest of the time, they are mine. It’s wonderful!