Sunday, May 11, 2008

Four



This week Sawyer turned four! Can you believe that? It seems like just yesterday that he was born.

He was so excited about his birthday. When he woke up, he was thrilled to see that Jason and I had decorated the kitchen with signs, crepe paper and balloons. He got ready for the day while he sang; “I am the birthday boy!” to himself over and over.

For breakfast, we had pancakes made with blue food coloring and candy sprinkles (Sawyer’s favorite) then we opened presents. He loved all of his gifts, but really all he could focus on was his new bike.

He rode that bike all day long – and not just on the sidewalks. He took it on dirt trails, bumpy hills and rocky paths (not the best terrain for training wheels). But he never cried or complained when his bike frequently tipped over, he just dove off of it and rolled. Then he jumped up grinning and said, “Did you see that? I just totally crashed!” He is so brave.

Sawyer is such a fun kid. He is strong, confident and energetic. No matter what we are doing (playing, working, hanging out, whatever), he is completely excited about it. I have never seen anyone get as much out of a day as he can.

He is also an extremely softhearted little boy. He never throws fits or loses his temper. He shares quickly and loves easily. He is mature, patient and truly kind. He amazes me.

I remember when we adopted Sawyer; we received hundreds of cards and letters from sweet friends and relatives telling us how lucky he was to come to our family. They were very touching.

But my dear friend, Courtney (who has adopted children and who helped us to find Sawyer) wrote in her card to me, “It isn’t Sawyer who is the lucky one it is you. May you always be grateful for the gift that he is in your life.”

She was right. And I am SO grateful to be blessed with such a sweet, fun, Christ-like son.